The Bloo is an American pay television channel owned by Bloo Media. The channel was launched on September 10th, 1996 and is aimed mainly at children and young teenagers between the ages of 5 to 12. Its programming consists of original first-run television series, theatrically-released and home media-exclusive movies and select other third-party programming. The channel's slogan is "Everything comes out of The Bloo".
In 1995, The Bloo was licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) after a related application for a channel to be called "Kidz Klub" had been denied. The channel was launched on September 10, 1996, with The Scooby-Doo Show being the first program to air.
On December 21, 1997, the network aired its first Christmas special, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and has continued to air specials for certain holidays since then.
In 1999, following DiC Entertainment and Hallmark Cards divesting their interests in The Bloo, the channel was converted into a spinoff of Comedy Central, as both channels were owned by Viacom and Time Warner (through Comedy Partners) during that time.
When Time Warner backed out of Comedy Partners in 2003, a new company was formed called The Bloo Partners, which started as a joint venture between Viacom (1951-2005), Mutual Broadcasting-Cinemark Theaters and AOL Time Warner. In 2009, The Bloo Partners was renamed to Bloo Media. In 2017, MBS Corp and Discovery Communications joined the consortium of companies that own Bloo Media.
When launched, the channel was originally owned by a consortium made up of various other 90's American specialty services and producers: Nickelodeon acting as managing partner at 53.3% (Viacom), Cartoon Network at 26.7% (Turner Broadcasting System), DiC Entertainment, and Hallmark Cards with 10% each.
In 1999, DiC and Hallmark withdrew from the consortium, making The Bloo a 50/50 joint venture between Viacom and Time Warner.
- Main article: List of programs broadcast by The Bloo
The channel has four brandings for each time of the day. One for the morning, one for the afternoon, one for the evening, and one for the night.
- Verizon Media
- Nickelodeon (Nicktoons and animated films only)
- Nick Jr. (animated series, Blue's Clues, Blue's Clues and You, and animated films only)
- Paramount Animation
- Games Animation Inc.
- Paramount Pictures (animated films)
- DreamWorks Animation
- DreamWorks Classics
- Harvey Entertainment
- Bullwinkle Studios
- Big Idea Productions
- DreamWorks Classics
- Cookie Jar Group
- DiC Entertainment
- Coliseum Entertainment
- Studio B Productions
- Decode Entertainment
- Halifax Film Company
- Colossal Pictures
- Aardman Animations
- Warner Bros. Entertainment
- Warner Bros. Pictures (animated films only)
- New Line Cinema (animated films only)
- Warner Animation Group
- Warner Bros. Animation
- Turner Entertainment (animated films and series only)
- Cartoon Network
- DC Comics (animated films and series only)
- MBS Corp
- Discovery, Inc.
- Discovery Family (animated series only)
- Discovery Kids Latin America
- The Walt Disney Company
- Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Pixar Animation Studios
- Blue Sky Studios
- Marvel Animation
- 20th Century Animation
- The Muppets Studio
- Touchstone Pictures (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Gnomeo and Juliet, and The Nightmare Before Christmas only)
- Disney Television Animation
- Disney Channel (animated series and films only)
- Disney XD (animated series and films only)
- Disney Junior
- Illumination Entertainment
- Universal Animation Studios
- Corus Entertainment
- MGM Holdings
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (animated films and series only)
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Animation
- Rovio Animation
- Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Columbia Pictures (family films only)
- Sony Pictures Television
- Sony Pictures Animation
- Boulder Media
- Entertainment One
- eOne Television
- eOne's Family & Brands
- Archie Comics
- The Lego Group
- PBS Kids (animated series only)
- Amazon Prime Video
- The Jim Henson Company
- Non-Stop Nicktoons Weekend: A block which airs exclusively Nickelodeon shows from 1pm to 5pm.
- Cartoon Cartoons: A block which airs exclusively Cartoon Network shows from 12pm to 5pm.
- The Disney Afternoon: A block which airs exclusively Disney Channel shows from 3pm to 5pm.
- Boomerang Throwback: A block which airs exclusively classic animated shows from 2pm to 5pm.
- Canadian 'Toons: A block which airs exclusively Canadian animated shows from 1pm to 5pm.
- AnimeCentral: A block which airs exclusively anime from 2pm to 5pm.
- The Bloo Invaded: A block that involves a continuing storyline of an alien invasion that runs through five different episodes of five different shows.